Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I went to Starbucks...home sweet home. ??

August 10
I went to Starbucks today (only a 7 minute bike ride from my apt! I'm so stoked!) for the first time since LAX. I felt so awkward and noticeable as I walked from the bike parking area to the door. Every table on the patio had people crowded around it. I'm not sure if this is true or just my perception, but it seemed like everyone was staring at me. I was more-than-ever aware that I look different and stand out in this environment. For some reason it made me feel really defensive-- as though their looks said, "What are YOU doing here?!" and I needed to justify. Inside it was equally packed, and as I approached the counter I felt like I was on a fashion show runway and all eyes were turned toward me. I'm a minority. That's different. Huh...

By the way, there was a man there in his 30s wearing velcro shoes. The fashion (can it be called that? "fashion"?) here is surprising.

1 comment:

  1. Well we know that they weren't stairing at you because they thought you were tall...

    Ok so I promise that every comment that I leave won't be sarcastic : )

    Love ya Mya!!

    ReplyDelete