To Mya
Good Morning.
Today's lunch has natto. Did you know that? You said "I have never eaten natto". So, I think you should try to eat natto!! I hope you'll like natto.
See you again
From Natsumi
After laughing and putting up a fight, saying, "Eh...I don't think I can...." I receive a "Ganbatte" ("Do your best.") in return. So, for the sake of proving to Natsumi that I'm really her friend and that I trust her, and for the sake of being a risk-taker, I commit (maybe??) to trying the natto. With Natsumi's open letter staring up at me from the left side of my lunch tray, and with my water bottle poised for chugging with a quick grab of my right hand, I enlist "how-to-eat-natto" advice from Ishihara Sensei, who is sitting next to me. どうすればいいんですか? He explains while demonstrating: topping the beans with mustard and soy sauce, then mixing them into a warm, sticky, taffy/spider web mess. I should grab some natto and some rice and eat them together in one bite. He gives me grace, むりしないで-- Don't force yourself...it's okay if you don't eat it. But...other teachers are commenting...and I told Natsumi I'd try..and there are many pairs of eyes on me-- including Okada Sensei, who had already finished his lunch and returned to the staff room, but then reappeared in the lunch room several minutes later for the sole purpose of watching me eat natto-- and my face getting hot with embarrassment and worry, I go for it. It seems impossible to chew...impossible to swallow...like a spider web in my mouth. I chug the water and try to make my face not so contorted. I never want to eat it again, but I'm glad that from now on when people ask me if I've eaten natto, I can affirm, 食べたことある.
mya! i love how you are writing these with the japanese and translations and then actual japanese script. so good to hear (because I hear you talking when i read them) all about your adventures! hope you are doing amazing!
ReplyDelete