Sunday, January 9, 2011
Kimono in Kiryu - 桐生の着物
Here are some pictures from yesterday and also from last month when I went with my friend Reiko and a couple of her friends to try on antique kimonos and wear them out and about for the day. Until recently I never wanted to put on kimonos, and I especially didn't want to be seen in public wearing one. Whenever I've seen other foreigners wearing kimonos I've thought they looked strange...because kimonos are obviously Japanese, and they (the women) are obviously not Japanese. I don't know...they just seemed out of place and big and goofy wearing them. It came up in conversation with my friend, Shohei, and I asked him if he thinks foreigners who wear kimonos look weird. He disagreed with me and said that when he sees a foreigner wearing a kimono he thinks, "That woman really loves Japan." hmm... I finally decided to give it a try. Surprisingly I have enjoyed wearing them.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment