Friday, January 8, 2010

Re-entry into Japanese Life, part 1

Re-entry into Japanese life, after having spent two weeks on vacation in Mexico and the States, is challenging. Shocking even. I don't have much time now, so I will just briefly share a few of the shocking expriences: This week was the first time this winter I had to scrape ice-- yes, I said ice-- off of my bike seat before riding to work. And this week was the first time this winter that I wore long johns to work. Am I a lumberjack?, you may ask. No, no I'm not. I'm a teacher. This week was also the first time this winter I recall seeing Takei Sensei wearing a full length, insulated winter coat. He was not snowboarding in the mountains. He was not coaching a soccer game in a snow storm. He was making copies...in the copy room.

4 comments:

  1. Are you sure you're not a lumberjack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mya, I love reading your blog. And I love your authenticity with people, with the Lord and with yourself. You're amazing!! Love you and miss you...Karla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it strange that lumberjacks eat flapjacks. Isn't that like eating your own child?

    ReplyDelete