Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Week of 給食 - Day 3

On Wednesdays I go to elementary school, and it seems like almost every Wednesday is seafood day at elementary school! ugh!!! Actually, after checking out the monthly lunch menu, I think 玲子 (Reiko), the dietitian at my elementary school, just has more of a taste for seafood...so it's on the menu a lot-- not just Wednesdays. Although we sometimes have seafood at my jr. high, seafood on Wednesdays is particularly bad for me because at elementary school I always eat with the kids. It's part of my scheduled day. So...if there's something I don't like, I usually have to eat it anyway, because the kids have to eat all of their food. (The first time I was served shishamo was at elementary school!!) (At jr. high I usually eat with the kids a couple times a week, but it's not part of my actual schedule, so I can just choose to eat with kids when I want to...when there's nothing on the menu that I really dislike.)

Due to the track record of "seafood Wednesdays", I'm always a little nervous to check the lunch menu when I go to elementary school. Today, I was very pleasantly surprised!! We had:


Pumpkin bread

Ground pork in a delicious sauce with carrots, mushrooms, peas, bamboo shoots, white radish, and slightly fried potatoes. SO good!

Miso soup with tofu, cabbage, onions, carrots, and (SURPRISE!) salmon. Whaat?! We have this soup often, and I really like it. I started eating it happily, but then when I took a sip of the broth, I knew instantly there was fish in it! blah! I looked...and saw chunks of salmon floating in it. Just when I thought I had escaped seafood Wednesday for once, it snuck up on me!

Fruits barbaloa-- which is chunks of bananas, pineapple, and oranges in a sweet, yet tart, pudding/yogurt-ish stuff.

And milk...which as usual, I saved to bring home to use in my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment