To get my education endorsement in ESL during college I had to take Structure and Development of the English Language. I was somewhat interested in and very mind-boggled by the details of English grammar. Now that I'm actually working as an English teacher for people learning English as a foreign language, I realize more and more how complicated some parts of English are. Students, Japanese English teachers, and friends ask me all kinds of questions that I have no idea about...because I've never thought about them...because as native speakers we just use grammar without thinking about it. Even if I do know what's correct and why, it's really hard to clearly explain in simple English the difference in how to use "Who smokes in class?" and "Who smokes in the class?" How about this...why is it okay to say, "People from all over the world...", but not okay to say, "People in all over the world..."?? Is there a difference in how we use, "She couldn't have said that," and "She can't have said that"? Though there's only one small word different, there is a very big difference in the meanings of, "I met her at college", and "I met her at the college". aaah! I actually feel really bad for people learning English.
No comments:
Post a Comment