Thursday, August 4, 2011

And another thing...

Coffee shops close early!! I just went out-- at 10:30-- and couldn't find an open one! I went to three, at least one of which used to be open until 11:00. Sad. I remember now...thinking that stuff here closed early, but I had forgotten. I'm used to Starbucks being open until midnight. Bummer!

Something else I noticed yesterday but hadn't fully thought through was that when I was at the bank exchanging my yen, a line started forming behind me and my immediate response was to feel sorry. I thought of telling the teller to help them first and that I could wait. But then I realized that it was okay for me to be helped first because I was there first. I thought...this is a very Japanese response-- feeling concerned for those other people and not wanting to cause a problem for them. I mean, I don't think Americans want to cause problems for other people, but I don't think most Americans-- including myself pre-Japan-- would have thought to let the other customers go ahead of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment