Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Return to American Life

Having been back in the States for a week now, these are my thoughts and observations...

I miss karaoke.
I miss using o-hashi (chopsticks) every day...I haven't yet had a meal that would be most easily eaten with chopsticks.
The airports are noisy.
There are SO MANY white people everywhere!
So many people have tattoos.
America is so much more casual than Japan. たとえば: The Zumba instructor at the gym deciding on-the-spot which song to choose from her iPod play list for the next routine...as opposed to my Japanese Zumba teacher, 木村さん, who always has mix CDs cued up with the songs in order. Also, while I was meeting with a staff member at the school district office to sign my teaching contract and other paperwork, another employee walked in and greeted that staff member with a hug.....during work! while she was doing business with me! A hug!?!
I miss karaoke.
Drinks at restaurants are HUGE, and the servers keep refilling and refilling your glass even if it isn't empty.
"Hot, humid" weather in Colorado is like the one cool day of Spring weather in Gunma.
All the TVs at the gym broadcast in English, which means I can understand all of them...and it's information/stimuli overload.
I miss karaoke.
Horrible Japanese fashion has invaded and is being sold and worn in America.
There are so many overweight people. Many very overweight!
Most guys at the gym are huge...with muscles.
Only a few of the people working out at the gym here look anorexic...whereas in Japan, MANY do!
I naturally walked around the gym locker room barefoot while carrying my shoes. ;) Then I realized I had to put them back on because they were the only ones I had...there wouldn't be another pair waiting for me near the gym door.
It felt really awkward to wear my shoes into the dressing rooms at Old Navy and the alterations shop.
People are really nice! (But the ones who aren't are direct about it!)
Life is easy here. So easy. Too easy?
I miss karaoke.
Sales tax is not included in the listed prices of items.
Sales tax is high.
When I get $100 out of the ATM, it is dispensed in 20s or 10s...not a $100 bill. I had forgotten that we don't deal with such large bills here...since people so often use debit and credit cards. I'm used to paying for my 450 yen white mocha with a 10,000 yen bill! I saw a sign at a coffee shop here that says they don't accept any bills over a 20! :O

There will be more to come...I'm sure...

1 comment:

  1. Great post on what you are noticing! It is quite a culture shock coming back to the USA! I especially loved the one about so many white people and all the tattoos! The weight as well is always so shocking and so sad.

    I remember returning to the states from Oki for the summers and just being blown away in central PA about how white everyone was and OLD... 'cause we had a limited age range in Oki. Race is so telling of diversity though... our family is in a lot of different activities, and some of them are so white, but our schools and neighborhood are anything but.

    Also, the understanding everything around you is so funny. I love going to the pool or the playground or a grocery store in my area and hearing at least 4 different languages... but when I visit other people, everything is in English... and it becomes TMI!

    Welcome back to this place and enjoy the cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete